What Is Wah Pedal or Wah Wah Pedal ?
Around the 1960s, the Wah Wah, or the Wah Wah pedals, or the Wah pedals started being extensively used by the musicians, along with their instruments (mainly guitar), to mimic the human voice. The sound coming out of these pedals resembled a person saying ‘wah’ in appreciation or a baby crying ‘wah~wah~wah’. The Wah Wah Pedals were popularized by Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix when they used them with their electric guitars and produced electrical effects on the minds of the people! Even in today’s world, the best and popular combination is thought to be that of electric guitar and best wah pedal. Other than the guitar, wah pedals can be used with other musical instruments like mandolin, fiddle, keyboards, etc.
How Does Best Wah Pedal Work?
Being a band, pass filter instrument (technically speaking), the best wah pedal allows passing only a small volume of incoming signals, high and low, weak and strong signals pass through the filters when the wah pedals are rocked back and forth.To read more about best in wall speakers reviews.
As a result, the sound produced sounds like a crybaby. Many guitarists use these as lead boosters, the pedals either boost the low frequency or the high frequency of a tone. The best wah pedal sounds much better as the first pedal in the effects chain where it directly filters the guitar signal.
Then it is sent to the distortion or overdrive pedals which alter the filtered signal. If best wah pedal is placed after other effects, it will sound a little unnatural. In such a case, tuner pedals can be put in front of the wah pedals. Basically, the thumb rule is if you want to get the best wah out of the pedal, then you have to place it first.
The best wah pedals can be used as tone pedals and expression pedals.
- As tone pedals, the wah pedals are kept pushing till they produce good tone, sometimes unique ones.
- As expression pedals, the wah pedals add expression to the guitar solos as the wah pedals have the ability to go back to the off position.
As the wah pedals use a simple circuit, an instrument player can control the frequency boost by rocking the pedals back and forth. Some wah pedals have additional controls, controlling the frequency sweep. Though wah pedals work well, if by chance they start malfunctioning or break down, then they pose severe problem for the instrument players. This normally happens when cheap wah pedals are used.
The general problems faced with either best wah pedals or cheap wah pedals are:
- They can start squeaking in the middle, simply spray WD,40 (or something similar) on the gears situated under the top of the foot rest.
- The belts can break down, especially that part which joins the foot rest to the mechanics, keep extra belts handy.
- It can start producing buzzing sounds, this can happen if you have not cleaned the inside of the pedals or the output/input jacks.
- It can stop producing any sound, check the battery or AC adapter; they would either be malfunctioning or the output/input jacks need to be repaired.