Many people who decide to begin violin lessons easily get overwhelmed by the options they have in buying the violin. Fact is, the violin brands are an instrument which is not so widely used compared to the guitar brand or the piano brand. Some people associate the violin to an elite group of people and not mainstream music pieces makers. Although this might still hold true to the present, statistics show that many beginners in the past seven years are from all walks of life.
It is also interesting to know that almost half of these new beginners pass on their enthusiasm to their family, specially their kids who eventually begin with their own lessons. This could be explained by the fact that an ordinary person who has not been exposed to playing the violin has now a wider range of options in buying the best violin brands and choosing an instructor – all because of the Internet. You may get different pieces of advice on how to buy the violin but here is what most people consider before making the purchase:
Note: if you like to buy soundbar you can check Reviewertouch blog.
1. What is your Goal:
Why do I want to play the best violin in the first place? For pleasure? For teaching purposes? To be a freelance violinist?
If you will be playing the violin mainly at home, infront of friends and family, you may want to start with the cheaper ones, like those manufactured by Otto Ernest Fischer. They make beautiful sounds and are not very pricey. You may stick with it until you decide to go professional. This brand is widely recommended for kids too so if you intend to teach your kids, they might want to use the same brand.
2. VIOLIN SIZES:
First, measure your arm’s length. This begins from the center of your chest up to the center of your palm. Then look for your measurement in the table below:
Violin sizes available :
- 4/4 = 23 inches
- 3/4 = 22 inches
- 1/2 = 20 inches
- 1/4 = 18.5 inches
- 1/8 = 16.5 inches
- 1/10 = 15 inches
- 1/16 = 14 inches
The fraction on the left size represents the size of the best violin. There is a corresponding arm’s length for each size. It is recommended for an adult not to settle with a violin that is smaller than ¾. 4/4 could or should also be used by children 9 years and older. If an adult or an older child settles with a smaller violin, they will be forced to stretch their hand more to be able to grasp the end of the fingerboard. In this position, it would be more difficult for them to place their fingers in the correct position. Remember that bigger violins resonate better, thus making a fuller sound than smaller violins. On the other hand, a child that is forced to use a bigger violin would be greatly handicapped in playing the instrument.To learn more Best violin shoulder rest.
3. QUALITY CONTROL:
Just like in any purchase of any kind of instrument, you should always check for good quality. This is where the question of many arises: online or local music store? I personally bought my sweet violin online because there are just better options on the net. However I would not recommend buying a secondhand violin brands on the Internet, like Ebay. I think buying a secondhand instrument on the Internet entails many risks that could outweigh the advantages you get out of it.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Local Music Store:
- You can try out the violin onsite.
- You can ask for advice from the sales representatives present onsite.
- If available, you can take the instrument with you on the same day.
- You have limited options.
- Returning the instrument might be acceptable the first time you do it but it is very likely that they will not entertain you the second time around. That means, you have to make the right decision before making the first purchase.
- Some of the options you have might be more expensive than on the Internet (Just like the books on Amazon and in your local book store. You save a whole lot more by buying them on Amazon.)
Advantages and Disadvantages of an Online Purchase:
- You have more options.
- Most of the items are cheaper.
- It is more convenient to make an online purchase. Many sites even offer a two-way free delivery.
- It is less embarrassing to return the instrument more than once. To be sure, check the terms and conditions of the online retailer or send a written inquiry (for your records in case of a dispute later on).
- In case of a purchase of a brand new instrument, there are only rare cases where the instrument arrives with damage. In such a case, you can return it anytime without extra costs
- You can not check if the violin suits your body built.
- You will have to wait for at least two days before you get the instrument (if you want free delivery). If you are willing to pay a bit more for a one-day delivery, this is also possible.
- You cannot check the quality before the purchase.
If you decide to make the purchase online, always remember that you can always try out the violin in your local store to determine the size and brand you want. Then write down the information you need, check it out online and make the online purchase if it has a more reasonable price and better return policies.Check now Yamaha EZ 200 review.